The 39 groups with over 100 remaining contestants from last week's first Hollywood Auditions episode. Tonight they were whittled down to 50 or so.
- First up were Pia Toscano, Alessandra Guercio and Brielle von Hugel (the girl who's dad had throat cancer) who sang Bruno Mars' "Grenade" in a key so LOW for them it did not showcase any vocal power at all. What's up with that? They got through anyway 'coz they didn't mess it up.
- Group 4+1 included Jordan Dorsey and Robbie Rosen. They all got through as well after an okay performance. I remember Robbie did better during the past auditions, and that Jordan left me unimpressed the first time I saw him. Well between them I prefer Robbie. The 3 others in the group remain anonymous. Hehe.
- "Forget You" by Cee Lo was the audition piece for the next group of 4 that included Adrian Michael and Lauren Turner. Lauren belted it out, sounding a bit uncharacteristic for the song choice, but all 4 of them made it through to the next round.
- The duo of Tiffany Rios and Jessica Yantz chose the wrong song to sing - "Irreplaceable" did not suit either of their voices. Both of them were sent packing and for good reason. Too bad because I was actually hoping crazy Tiffany would get through. I kinda thought she could be the characteristic underdog to make it to the final 20. I guess I'll have to give it to Ashley Sullivan now to carry that torch. ;)
- Next up: Jovany Barreto, Kevin Campos, Jorge Gabrielle and Karen Rodriguez. Ship builder Jovany made up lyrics but he still got through. So did Karen. The other 2 guys were given the boot.
- 15-year-old Lauren Alaina from the Tennessee auditions was up next with 3 other unnamed girls. They brought Steven Tyler up the stage and sang to him. Unfortunately for them, only Lauren got through.
- Matt Dillard as I said during the Tennessee auditions, was not good enough a singer for Idol. I was right. His group mate Colton Dixon got through.
- Others that were booted off the competition were Shannon Livewell, Briana Tyson, Janelle Arthur, rocker chick Alyson Jados, Caitlyn Koch, mommy Paris Tassin from the New Orleans audition, cartoon voiced Emily Anne Reed, Adrienne Beasly and Los Angeles audition's Aaron Gutierrez of the Gutierrez brothers. Bye all.
- Next up were Keeira Lyn Ford, my favorite crazy person Ashley Sullivan, Ashthon Jones and another nameless girl. They did an impressive albeit odd performance that earned all of them a pass through. If only Ashley could get it together, she could be a real firecracker there with all that energy of hers. She should learn to harness that power and not let it take control of her singing.
- What's with the hanky in the back pocket James Durbin? Him and groupmate Caleb Johnson got through, but John Jordan, Emma Henry and Daniel Pate were not so lucky. I thought Emma was singing in the completely wrong key for her - it was simply too low for her to be able to do anything with it.
- The 15 and 16 year old children of the stage mothers - all 5 of them - got through. Keonna Evans, Jalen Harris, Sarina-Joi Crowe, Deandre Brackensick and one other contestant. See kids, mother knows best. ;)
- Steven Clawson
stupidbrought lyrics on a piece of paper. Claps! Claps! for your audacity. :/ He did not go through, but groupmates Corey Levoy and Hollie Cavanagh did. Hollie seems like she's toughened up since her audition in Texas. She's done really well so far.
- Filipino looking Melissa Lucas were booted with groupmates Dan Noguchi and Lara Johnston. Julie Zorilla and Casey Abrams were through. Casey is one of the most exciting contestant so far - I'm always eager to see how we will sing anything.
- Naima Adedapo is going to be a force to be reckoned with, I hope. She has the skills to back it up so she should go all the way with it. She and her group mates Da'Quela Payne, Matthew Nuss, a surprisingly good Jacob Lusk and one other all went through.
- The whole group including Caleb Hawley, Chris Medina, Carson Higgins and Eryn Kelly got through except one - Devyn Rush. I found none of them exceptional in this round.
- Now a group with all of them going through: Jacee Badeaux, Brett Loewenstern, Denise Jackson, Stevie Cain and Natalie Hanson. Brett, oh, Brett. I do not get thee. Oh and add Jacee to that as well. I don't get either of them. Then again I also don't get Justin Bieber.
- So I said Clint Jun Gamboa did not look the part, nor did he really have anything special, but he did nail the group auditions, I'll give him that. His whole group got through including country crooner Scott McCreery, Monique Delos Santos and Frances Coontz.
- Final auditions featured were by "the exes" Chelsee Oaks and Rob Bolin, with the now singular Jacquelyn Dunford (after boyfriend Nick got booted last week) who did a fantastic job murdering the song she was singing. How she got through, I have no idea. Rob was gone and rightfully so. He messed the whole thing up.
Did not see the following people if they got through or not: Filipino-American Thia Megia, Jackie Wilson, Jerome Bell,Molly DeWolf Swenson, Paul McDonald, and Rachel Zevita.
We'll see tomorrow when they announce the next cut! In the meantime, here's Thia Megia's American Idol first interview: